NTC Forum
WELCOME! Please Register if not already a member
NTC Forum
WELCOME! Please Register if not already a member
NTC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NTC Forum

Newcastle Triathlon Club Forum

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride

Go down 
+3
jaffa
Neil
Bill Harvey
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bill Harvey

Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride Empty
PostSubject: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:38 am

Another event for the cyclists out there

Dougie Mac Bike Ride

Sunday 16th May 2010
Michelin Athletic Club

Sponsored Bike Ride

A choice of 3 routes:

110 miles round trip to Llangollen and back

50 miles round trip to Nantwich and back

10 mile round trip circular Local Route* (This route was believed to be inaccessible at the time of printing and is not featured on the print, but is an option now for our supporters)

All routes will begin and end at the host venue. The host venue for 2010 is the Michelin Athletic Club.

All riders on return to the club are treated to a buffet picnic donated by local business.

Entry Fee: £15.00 and £20.00 on the day

Venue: Michelin Athletic Club, Rosetree Avenue, Trent Vale, Stoke on Trent ST4 6NL

Date: 16th May 2010

Further details:

http://www.dmhospice.org.uk/pages/event-bikeride.htm

http://www.dmhospice.org.uk/pages/event-bikeride.htm
Back to top Go down
Neil

Neil

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyMon May 03, 2010 10:55 am

Anyone doing this? i might try the 110 miler Shocked
Back to top Go down
jaffa

jaffa

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyTue May 04, 2010 9:50 am

Hi Neil,
I'm doing the 110 miles, but planning on going solo (down in Acapulco!) so that I can get a feel for
Ironman distances in solitude which won't be easy or fun (should take me 7-8 hours)! What distance are you planning to do?
Back to top Go down
Neil

Neil

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyTue May 04, 2010 1:27 pm

Huh huh! going solo you brave man Shocked

I'm going give the 110miler ago too but not done anything over 50 before, i may have bitten of more than i can chew here lol!

We'll have to meet at the start so i know your face for when i pass you haha Laughing only kiddin.

Have you done this before? whats it like
Back to top Go down
jaffa

jaffa

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyWed May 05, 2010 2:12 am

Hi Neil,

I've not cycled more than 90 miles in one go before, and that was last September, but I do know that any distance is possible if you go at the right pace, so don't worry about the distance. I've found when doing long events that if you stick with people for a while and chat it breaks up the boredom, and then when someone feels the need to speed up or slow down the group naturally breaks up, so then you just move onto the next pack (either infront or behind!).

I plan to start around 6.30 - 7am, so you're welcome to come along, though I intend to average 15/16 mph in order to complete the event in 7 hours so I don't want to dawdle (for the faster riders out there reading this I expect that is quite slow for you!!). What kind of distance have you done before?
Back to top Go down
jez

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyWed May 05, 2010 10:19 am

jaffa/neil

I may ride this but will be an entry on the day for me as a last minute thing as I may have to work.If i do ride will try and hook up at some stage.Wont make any plans though as its a bit in the air for me
jez
Back to top Go down
Neil

Neil

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyTue May 11, 2010 11:46 am

Hey Jaffa sorry bout the late reply been in barcelona last few days to watch spanish gp.

Only done 50miles before so still not decided what distance to do, i may leave it til wkend before i decide. I'll let ya know what i go for but will meet up with you at the start even if its just to say hello Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sarah

Sarah

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyTue May 11, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi, a few of us are planning to do the 110 it might be an idea to meet up and do it together well start off together anyway!!
I was thinking about getting there as early as possible and getting started. If anyone else fancies meeting up let me know and i can pm you my number and we can arrange to meet up.
Back to top Go down
jaffa

jaffa

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyWed May 12, 2010 4:17 am

Hi Sarah/Neil?Jez/anyone else, I plan to get there as early as possible too, is 6.30am too early (it is for me!)?
Back to top Go down
Elsie

Elsie

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyThu May 13, 2010 1:41 am

I'm undecided at mo - want to think I can do 110 but think it might be about 30 too much at this time!! Think I'll decide on the Saturday. If not think I'll do the 50 but ride there and back so it's a 75. Question
Back to top Go down
jaffa

jaffa

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyThu May 13, 2010 8:11 am

Just been looking at some info, registration for 110 Llangollen route opens 6.15am, first riders off by 7am. Need to get there really early, as riders are set off in groups of 10 at 10 min intervals (according to the flyer), sounds completely daft to me. Perhaps it's a print error but still, I don't want to be waiting for over an hour to start like at the Cheshire Cat - that was really annoying! So I'm now planning to get there for 6.15am, with the view to starting off reet early.
Back to top Go down
jez

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyThu May 13, 2010 11:41 am

Hi all,
unfortunatley i wont be riding as can get day off work.....enjoy

jez
Back to top Go down
Neil

Neil

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyThu May 13, 2010 12:20 pm

Yeah Jaffa i'd heard about the staggered start times also.

I'm going give the 110 a miss ive got to be realistic and say im not fit enough at the mo, my missus won't be too pleased if i phone her middle wales lol!

Going to do the 55miler instead if anyones up for that?
Back to top Go down
jaffa

jaffa

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyFri May 14, 2010 2:15 am

It's gonna rain! Mad
Back to top Go down
Uncle_fish (Billy)

Uncle_fish (Billy)

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptySat May 15, 2010 3:44 am

I am doing the 50miler

Gonna get down there just before 7am

Hope the rain stays off and we all have a good ride
Back to top Go down
jaffa

jaffa

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyMon May 17, 2010 2:14 am

Well it didn't rain!!! (well only a tiny bit at 6.30am). Am well proud to have covered such a distance on my own, good prep for Outlaw in August. How did everyone else get on?
Back to top Go down
Uncle_fish (Billy)

Uncle_fish (Billy)

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyWed May 19, 2010 5:54 am

Only did the 50 - signed up for the Nantwich tri at weekend so didnt want to do too much

Some of the roads were very rutted but me and my trusty chariot got round in 2hrs 45 - solo so no drafting!

Were you happy with your time or was it just about covering the distance?
Back to top Go down
jaffa

jaffa

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyWed May 19, 2010 8:12 am

I was well chuffed with my time, but then again I tried to put the pedal down all the way and treat it like a race. The downside was much cramp in left calf for last 10 miles.
Back to top Go down
Neil

Neil

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyWed May 19, 2010 12:20 pm

What time did ya get jaffa? my work m8 did it but ended up in chester lol! eventually got back 12hrs after he started, to be fair he'd not ridden a road bike before and didn't train for it i was surprised he even finished.

I didn't manage any my car broke and it looks to be expensive Sad decided it was best to work sunday and put it towards the bill.

Im doing chesire this wkend Billy if ya fancy a run around bike course before sunday?

Not expecting to do too well managed no running keep picking up niggles very frustrating Mad , i'll be happy if i manage somewhere near last years time Smile
Back to top Go down
jaffa

jaffa

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyThu May 20, 2010 2:08 am

Hi Neil, it took me about 6 and a half hours (excluding 10 min food stop at Llangollen and a fair few "comfort" breaks! Wink )

Shame about your motor, hope you can get it fixed cheaply (is anything cheap when it comes to car maintenance!) Shame about your mate too, how he ended up in Chester is crazy, did he not carry a map with him?
Back to top Go down
Neil

Neil

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyThu May 20, 2010 11:20 am

Thats a great time Jaffa you must be well chuffed.

My m8 said somit about another cycle event taking place in wales using the same color signs so got confused ended up in chester haha.

Im gonna have to pull out of chesire tri Sad pulled my back yesterday, been to see a physio looks like ive nearly slipped a disc so got rest or it may fully pop out Sad will have to set my sights on trentham now boo i love nantwich tri too
Back to top Go down
jaffa

jaffa

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyFri May 21, 2010 2:09 am

Well chuffed with the time for sure.

Sounds like you're not having a good week though, I'd stay indoors for the rest of the weekend to be on the safe side!! Take care of your back, something like a bulged disc can take a really long time to recover from, hope you get better soon!
Back to top Go down
Neil

Neil

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride EmptyFri May 21, 2010 4:21 am

Cheers Jaffa, hopefully won't take too long too heal Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride   Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride Empty

Back to top Go down

Douglas Macmillan Bike Ride
Page 1 of 1